Welcome! This blog site is dedicated to your summer printmaking course, "A Sense of Place." Here you will find the syllabus, online printmaking resources, links, and documentation throughout the course.

Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 3: Collagraph - in color!



Our third day, inspired by the sense of hearing, began with the most amazing act of playing brass bowls from Nepal. I had never done this before and the experience was meditative. I hope I can purchase one for my classroom because I think this would really capture the interest of children.
My breakthrough today was credited to Bob. I was frustrated with the design of my plate from Day 2, because it felt too contrived. Bob suggested covering the plate except for small sections and then only working in that section. This worked so well for me. I had been intimidated by the big white plate (Twyla!) but breaking it down into smaller pieces enabled me to let go and not worry about the product. I love how my color collagraph prints turned out. Collaborating with other students forced me to further give up control of the product and allow for happy accidents.

1 comment: